Manufacture of large Chimney Stacks and Cyclones for herb production facility. Project: Camstar Herbs -…
When specifying structural steelwork for a construction project, there are several factors that need to be considered in order to ensure that the steelwork meets the project’s requirements and is fit for purpose.
- Load and Stress: The first and most important consideration is the load and stress that the steelwork will be subjected to. The steelwork needs to be designed and manufactured to withstand the weight of the building and any other loads that it will be subjected to, such as wind and earthquakes.
- Material Grade: The grade of the steel used is also important. The grade will determine the strength and ductility of the steelwork, as well as its resistance to corrosion. The most common grades of steel used in construction are S235, S355 and S690.
- Size and Shape: The size and shape of the steelwork will also need to be considered. The steelwork needs to be designed and manufactured to fit the specific dimensions of the project and to support the loads that it will be subjected to.
- Connection Details: The connection details of the steelwork are also important. The steelwork needs to be connected together in a way that is secure, stable, and able to withstand the loads that it will be subjected to.
- Fire Protection: Consideration should be given to the fire protection of the steelwork. The steelwork needs to be able to withstand the heat and flames of a fire, and it may need to be coated with a fireproofing material.
- Durability and Maintenance: The durability and maintenance of the steelwork should also be considered. The steelwork needs to be able to withstand the elements and not rust or deteriorate over time.
- Cost and Lead Time: Cost and lead time are also important factors to consider. The steelwork needs to be manufactured and delivered on time and within budget.
- Aesthetics: Lastly, the aesthetic appearance of the steelwork should also be considered. The steelwork can be finished in a variety of ways, such as painting, powder coating, anodizing, and patination, to enhance the appearance of the steelwork and fit in with the overall design of the building.
In summary, specifying structural steelwork for a construction project involves taking into account the loads and stress that the steelwork will be subjected to, the material grade, size and shape, connection details, fire protection, durability and maintenance, cost and lead time, and aesthetics. By considering these factors, you can ensure that the steelwork meets the project’s requirements and is fit for purpose.
At Wrightfield, we are specialists in structural steel work. We design, manufacture and install a comprehensive range of such solutions, including fire escapes, mezzanine floors and staircases. We discuss further in the following article – continue reading for more information.
Wrightfield – About Us
We are an engineering company with more than 25 years of experience in the industry. We have an enviable reputation for excellence, which has been built through many years of delivering on a wide range of projects and solutions.
We have particular expertise in the field of structural steel work and, an EN 1090-1 accredited company we are able to design manufacture and install steel products up to and including Execution Class 2. This accreditation also ensures that all of our products are CE marked in full compliance with legislation governing structural steel work.
As a one stop shop for steel works, we carry out all processes pertaining to a project in house. This helps us to maximise interdepartmental communication and collaboration, a factor that ensures that consistency in maintained throughout the design, manufacture and installation of a product. It is also something that helps us to maximise efficiency and achieve fast turnaround times.
Bespoke Services for Clients
We offer bespoke steel work solutions, enabling us to provide clients with tailor made products that match their exact specifications. We always implement industry best practices and incorporate cutting edge technologies, helping us to create only the most efficient and effective products for clients.
Ultimately, we want to help you to increase your productivity and profitability.